Create a strong computer password
To stop unauthorized users from accessing your important computer files and folders, the easiest way is to set up a strong Windows login password for your computer.
Step 1. Open User Account by clicking Start button, Control Panel, Family Safety and User Accounts, User Accounts.
Step 2. Click “create a password for your user account” under Make changes to your account.
Step 3. Type your password, type it again to confirm it, type a password hint and click Create password button.
Tips for the password:
1. A strong password has at least eight characters, uses a combination of numbers, upper and lowercase letters, and uses at least one special character (such as !@#$%^&*).
2. Don’t share it. If you have shared it, discard it and get a new one. And don’t leave it lying around for anyone to ‘borrow’.
3. Change the password on a regular basis to keep your computer more secure.
4. Create a Windows password reset disk to avoid the possible troubles resulted from a lost Windows password.
Other basic computer safety maintenance
Follow the following steps to prevent nasty viruses from infecting your computer.
1. Install a strong anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
2. Keep the software, operating system and security updated.
3. Configure your computer’s built-in firewall to prevent attacks over the internet.
4. Scan USBs and other external devices to make sure they are not infected by viruses and malware.
5. Back up your computer files regularly.